Treatment Methods - Steps to Healthy BalanceDiagnosis
The Meridian System
Diagnosis - Ways to Assess Your Well-Being in Japanese Acupuncture
Traditional Oriental Medicine sees you as a total being, not just a set of symptoms. Your body and spirit, environment, living habits, diet, emotions, and many other factors are assessed to determine the patterns of imbalance.
- Diagnosis includes taking your case history and asking questions related to the functioning of the internal organs and overall state of health.
- Palpation, or examining by touch, is an important method of diagnosis. It involves taking the pulse at the wrists and feeling acupuncture points on the abdomen and back which correspond to various internal organs and energy pathways.
- Together, these diagnostic methods give a complete picture of a person's condition and serve to guide treatment towards a return to a balanced state of health.
The Meridian System - Circulation of Your Vital Energy
Your Meridian System is a network of interconnecting pathways that circulates vital energy throughout your entire body. When you are healthy and in balance, this energy flow is properly regulated and circulates continuously and smoothly.
- When a person becomes out of balance and sick, the meridian flow becomes interrupted.
- Particular pathways become either deficient and weak, or stagnant and blocked, much like a river of water can either run dry, or back up and overflow.
- Traditional Oriental Medicine's goal is to restore and maintain the proper flow of this vital energy in your body and to promote your health and well-being.
Acupuncture (Keiraku Chiryo) - Traditional Japanese Meridian Therapy
Special needles inserted at acupuncture points along the meridians adjust their energy flow. By regulating the meridians, your body is brought back towards a state of balance. This helps to unleash your innate natural healing power.
- Acupuncture needles are sterile and disposed of after one-time use. They are much thinner than the needles typically used by healthcare practitioners.
- Most people find acupuncture to be an extremely relaxing and pleasant experience in the hands of an appropriately qualified practitioner.
- Traditional Japanese acupuncture's exceptionally gentle techniques make it ideal for people who are very sensitive, dislike needles, or may have had negative experiences with other types of needling.
Moxibustion - Burning Moxa a Health Booster
Moxibustion enhances the effects of acupuncture treatment. Moxa comes from the leaf of the Asian Mugwort plant and helps treat the meridians when it is burned on various acupuncture points.
- The moxa herb contains many healing properties.
- It has a self-regulating nature which allows it to add energy to deficient areas while releasing blockages and promoting circulation in regions of stagnation in your body.
- Moxibustion's unique combination of vital energy, chemical reaction, and infra-red heat triggers a powerful healing response in your entire body, including boosting the immune system and reducing inflammation.
Shiatsu Massage (KoKoDo Shiatsu Igaku) - Effective Hands-On Acupressure
Shiatsu is a traditional Japanese form of massage based on the same meridian system as acupuncture, but instead of using needles, the hands and thumbs are used to apply pressure at points along the meridians.
- Shiatsu massage can be used on its own at a treatment or combined with acupuncture and moxibustion.
- Shiatsu treatments can be quite relaxing and enjoyable, although you might feel some discomfort when it releases areas which have stagnation and congestion.
- Discomfort in Shiatsu massage is very temporary and the amount of pressure used is easily adjusted to your personal comfort level.
Children's Acupuncture (Shonishin) - Improving Your Child's Health
Shonishin is a specialized form of acupuncture that treats infants and young children. It has been in use since its development in Japan approximately 400 years ago.
- Shonishin is a very comfortable and gentle treatment, as the special acupuncture needles are usually only used on the surface of the skin to regulate the acupuncture meridians.
- Shonishin acupuncture helps treat a wide range of children's health issues and can improve and strengthen a child's overall constitution.
Herbal Medicine (Kampo Igaku) - Restoring Health and Balance with Herbs
Kampo Herbal Medicine formulas treat more than symptoms, they help address the underlying imbalances in your body and so work to restore health.
- Kampo formulas are safe, gentle, and natural mixtures of various medicinal herbs.
- Integral to health practices for over 2,000 years of continual use, Kampo herbal formulas have a long and reliable history of safety and efficacy.
- Kampo Medicine uses only the highest quality concentrated herbs from Taiwan & Japan and these are tested and certified to be free from pesticides and heavy metals.